SINGAPORE – Seniors with a gambling problem could have to consent to counselling to deal with their addiction before they can get financial support from their children under the Maintenance of Parents Act.

The Tribunal for the Maintenance of Parents, where parents file for an order to get their children to support them, is currently empowered to only make orders on maintenance payments.